It’s hard to believe that just 15 years ago, our Co-Founder and current President, Shane Evans, opened the very first Massage Heights. Though we’ve grown from that one location to more than 140 over the years, our goal has always been the same — to create meaningful relationships by caring for the body, mind, and spirit of those we touch.
Expansion Goals for 2019
In an effort to touch 32 million lives, our vision for 2019 is to bring Massage Heights Retreats into new locations around the country. Not only does this bring therapeutic massage therapy to millions of people, but it gives franchise owners the opportunity to run their own business and create a successful life for themselves and their families.
New Franchise Agreements
Most recently, we signed a franchise agreement with new franchisees Amanda Watkins and Ben Heinz of Vanilbeen Limited. Together, they plan to open a Retreat in Colorado.
Why Ben and Amanda Chose Massage Heights
Though this is their first venture into franchising, the two are Colorado natives, meaning they understand the culture, people, and market. After graduating from college with degrees in the field of science, they realized that their true passion lied in business. Together, they took the plunge and decided it was time to experience something completely different.
"Ben and I have loved the Massage Heights brand for more than a decade. We decided to take the leap and become franchisees because we were both in a pivotal, transformative period in our lives and wanted to do something we could be passionate about while helping others," said Amanda Watkins. "We've wanted to own our own business for years and after researching Massage Heights further and meeting with the corporate team, the choice was obvious to us."
The Power of Passion
Though it may come as a shock to some, many of our first-time franchisees have little business, skincare, or massage experience. Rather, what we look for is a strong work ethic and desire to bring therapeutic treatment methods to the people of their area.
"Our franchisees all share the same passion for helping others, which is the foundation that Massage Heights was built upon, and we feel fortunate to welcome such kind and compassionate people like Amanda and Ben to the Massage Heights family,".
"Massage Heights as a brand has done extremely well in Colorado, and the state remains a target market for our continued growth. We look forward to Amanda and Ben opening our newest Colorado Retreat, as well as their journey with Massage Heights."
Multi-Unit Retreat Ownership
By offering existing franchisees the opportunity to become multi-unit owners, we can expand our reach and the success of a Retreat owner.
As a multi-unit Retreat owner, you’ll not only experience the thrill of opening a new location again, but you’ll also enjoy the additional revenue you’re bringing in each month.
Why We Encourage Multi-Unit Ownership
- Expenses per unit decrease: Your expenses per unit will decrease when you’re able to spread the cost of supplies over multiple locations.
- A competitive advantage: By opening a second location in a given area, your name and brand recognition skyrockets, allowing you to corner the massage market in that area.
- Additional profits: Though your second Retreat won’t instantly be as profitable as your existing one, it will be an additional source of profit in the long run.
- The excitement of opening a new location: Think back to the excitement you felt when you opened your first location many years ago. With a second location, you can now experience the joy of opening a new Retreat. However, this time you have years of experience backing you.
Several Retreat owners are already experiencing the joy of multi-unit ownership. Just last year, husband and wife entrepreneurs, Mike and Barbara, opened their second Massage Heights in Colorado Springs. Jen Burlington opened her first Massage Heights in 2008 and now manages four Retreats in and around the greater San Antonio region in addition to being the Area Developer for the Dallas market.
Tips For Expanding Your Retreat
Though many Retreat owners wish to expand and buy a second (or third, or fourth…) location, many also choose to improve their current location by:
- Adding new products or services. It’s more than possible to grow your business right where you are by adding new products and services to your mix, whether they’re holiday-specific, seasonal, or something completely unique. In March of 2019, Massage Heights began offering dynamic cupping therapy to all Retreats nationwide. Our dynamic cupping therapy uses silicone cups to mimic traditional massage movements, allowing for better circulation and easier muscle movement. When the cup is pulled, it helps to promote a deep relaxation throughout the entire body, which encourages healing and the body's regeneration process, enhances circulation, increases range of motion and flexibility, and reduces inflammation.
- Reaching out to new customers. There’s almost always an untapped market out there — you just may need to get creative in finding them. For example, offering shorter massages at a lower price may be what it takes to get time-starved consumers (who previously didn’t have time for a long massage) through your doors. Massage Heights offers 30-minute Targeted Treatments that allow convenient service times for our Guests while providing maximum therapeutic benefits by focusing on specific areas of the body (such as the neck and shoulders or lower legs and feet).